Monday, January 22, 2007

Positive expectations

Maybe it’s true. I just read that today is the most depressing day of the year ( in three different articles). Although the weather has been good in Florida, it’s still time for bills and post-holiday letdown, and when we look at a calendar and realize that there are no paid holidays until Memorial Day, and of course we have no excuse for stylish boots or sweaters like the Northerners.

That was the first news article I read today. Then I opened an electronic newsletter that has an article about those moods that seem to come out of nowhere that you have no control of. I think maybe the first one is right. Or am I just influenced by the reading of it? Words do have power over us. I will immediately and persistently replace those negative vibes with positive affirmations applied liberally throughout the day.

Maybe I’ll do a 3-minute self-hypnosis session to get my mood back on track. I always seem to find that the day meets my expectations, so I like to have expectations of a very satisfying day.

Affirmation of the day: Something good will come out of this. This is a very good thing to affirm after meeting some challenges. I heard Sonia Choquette say this on a radio show last week.

Inspirational quote: Thru this door, all my dreams become realities, and some of my realities become dreams! – Willy Wonka in the movie, Willy Wonka

Depression is also called anhedonia, so I guess the opposite is hedonia. Let me check. It’s not in my dictionary, but hedonism and hedonist is. But they are not what I was looking for, so let’s go with euphoria, bliss, ecstasy. These all express extreme joyful conditions, so let’s tone it down a bit and settle for cheerful. If I say “I feel euphoric,” I may raise eyebrows. Whereas, if I say “I feel cheerful,” people are less likely to gossip behind my back or recommend a psychologist.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory!

Anonymous said...

Nice post.