Friday, February 2, 2007

Sexist Terms 2

I recently received a report, which started like this:

This will separate the Men from the Boys!!!!

I was a little taken aback. Would I be a Man after reading this report? Even if I wasn’t a Boy to start out with?!

I understand the meaning, but I think it could be stated differently:

This will separate the adults from the children! But this only displays an age difference, so it’s not equivalent.

This will separate the superior from the inferior! Is that right? Or is it the accomplished from the inexperienced? I think that captures the flavor a little better for me, but it’s not too catchy. This will separate the experts from the novices. The geeks from the newbies? The nerds from the herds? I got it! The best from the rest!

This will separate the best from the rest!

No comments: