Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Profanity

Little things amuse me. I mean little things literally, like little words, especially 3 or 5 letter words. Isn’t it funny that the expression “4-letter words” refers to profanity. Isn’t it odd that most profanity has only 4 letters? I guess all I can handle today are 3-5 letter words. I have been feeling a little overwhelmed lately.….

Back to those friendly, droll words. I like the sound of these: mirth, glee, smirk, smug! "Mirth" is a very funny word. Say it a few times and see if you don’t laugh. If you don’t, try it with a high, whiney voice. If you still aren’t laughing, make an appointment with a private investigator or hypnotherapist and see if you can’t recover your lost sense of humor!

Why does “profane” mean obscene, rude or crude? “Pro” means for or toward and what is “fane?” In Latin, “profanus” means before the temple, but outside of it, indicating that something is secular, not sacred or pious.

I feel overwhelmed. Can one be underwhelmed? Subdued would be synonymous with underwhelmed. How about whelmed? “Whelm” must be from Latin as there is no “WH” in Greek. My dictionary says it is from Middle English, overwhelmen, which definitely sounds German. But there is such a word as “whelm!” It means to submerge, or cover with water. It’s true, you can learn something every day! Even me, the philolog!

No comments: