Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Sycophant

I read an interesting word yesterday, sycophant, in reference to some of President Bush’s aides and advisors. This word comes from Greek, I guess, because of the PH and the use of Y as a vowel. My dictionary tells me this is so, and the Greek words that comprise it, mean “fig shower.” Maybe if you shower someone with figs or gifts, it is a sign of flattery, since sycophant now means a servile person who flatters important people for self-advancement.

Also, I looked up “pizzazz” in my Unabridged Dictionary, which states that the word probably came from a sound which is uttered when excited or energized.

2 comments:

Ms.Crabapple said...

I love your word choices. We could all learn a word a day from you. Keep 'em coming!

Greek Philosopher said...

I'm glad you included the etymology on this one. So many English words are derived from the Greek!