Thursday, December 7, 2006

Introduction

This is the philolog's blog! I am a philolog -- a lover of words and wisdom! From the Greek. Sounds like "feel a log," emphasis on the first syllable. I truly love words, the way they sound, the way they look, and the impact they have on people. I believe the pen is mightier than the sword. I just want to write about words that I like. I want to share them with others like secrets. But they aren't secrets. The dictionary is full of them! I love dictionaries. I may not have used one in a while, but I think that will change now. There are just so many interesting words.

Philolog is a variation of philologue and philologist. Related to Philosophy. There are 2 PHs in that word that sound like F. It's good that I'm studying Greek. There is no F in the Greek alphabet, however, there is a symbol with the same sound. It's called "fee." Someday I'll be sophisticated enough to include a picture of fee in my blog. Thanks for bearing with me.

I used to do the Word Power quiz in the Reader's Digest when I was in elementary school. My teachers noticed I had an excellent vocabulary. I think if you don't use it, you lose it. My 8 year-old son's favorite book is the Children's Dictionary he got a few years ago for Christmas. He has asked me just to read that book to him at bedtime. He will pick out a picture and ask me to read the definition. He hasn't done that in a while. Maybe I'll pick it up again. We're reading Mary Poppins and it has some unfamiliar words in it. Like perambulator. Who here knows what a perambulator is? It's a British term for stroller. I don't know if I've ever heard the word before, it's not very common these days, but seeing ambul in there, I recognized as walking (ambling), and figured it out from the context. We used to have to do that in my elementary school. I wonder if they do that anymore.

In this blog I hope to enliven your vocabulary, and maybe make you think. I might even inspire someone to pick up a dictionary! I really just want to share my love of words. I may include some poems or phrases that particularly sing to me. Words are my tools. I am a hypnosis consultant. I use words to help others change their behavior. It’s fascinating. Sometimes I’m quite clever. The right word can really make a difference. I will write more about this soon. Thanks for listening. And please feel free to give feedback. Nothing is this blog should be peremptory.

That’s a great word! There are 2 for today: philolog and peremptory (precluding further debate).

No comments: