Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Master

Change is Good. I think I have reached the acceptance stage for the change in my employment status. It is a great time to be free and unencumbered! There was a mandatory training event, at my former job, last Friday and I happened to be the co-chair of the event. So, I got to be the MC, which stands for Master of Ceremonies. (A sexist term, but we will not discuss alternatives, yet.) The event went very well. I base this on the evidence that very few people left after lunch, which has happened in the past. Even I enjoyed it. And the president of the company complimented my on my creativity. So I'm pleased. A Happy Ending.

Master of Ceremonies is a term indicating a male. Of course, we can say just MC. Just like we can say MA or MS instead of Master's degree. See earlier post, much earlier, for a discussion of alternatives for degree titles. The only non-sexist degree is the doctorate. I guess I will have to get one so I can be Dr. Constantas and not use Mrs. or Ms. Although Ms. was conceived to be a privacy-protecting title for a woman, my high school students informed me it usually indicates a divorced woman.

Back to MC, Mistress of Ceremonies will not do, so what could be an alternative?

No comments: