Saturday, June 7, 2008

Disgraceful!

Disgrace. What does it mean? We need to understand grace first. Grace is ... ineffable. I know what it means, but I can't explain. This is a quote from a song by The Who. I always disagreed with that sentence. If you really know what it means, you would be able to define it. But grace has many meanings and even carries with it a biblical or religious significance. So I hesitate to try on my own. I will take a risk and posit that it is from Latin.

Disgrace - n. loss of honor or respect; regarded with disapproval or disfavor. From Latin.

Grace - n. effortless charm; well-coordinated; appropriate;Divine love and protection. From Latin.

Ineffable - adj. beyond description in mere words. From Latin.

I guess really wasn't ineffable.

1 comment:

Ms.Crabapple said...

A respected clergyman told me that grace means unity with God. Now you might have a concept of God that is narrow or that is broad, abstract or concrete. Either way, this definition may work for you and The Who, too.