Monday, September 27, 2010

Red Heads

Why am I suddenly the red-headed step-child?!

I'd rather be the red-headed vixen.

Where do these expressions come from?

Red hair is beautiful. It is rare. True redheads are rare, of course, though it is very popular as a hair dye. When I made my hair copper, people came up to me on the street and said "I love your hair!" They do not do that with ash brown hair.

The best definition of this term is from Urban Dictionary:
A term that originated out of the common mistreatment and social ostracism of redheaded individuals (gingers). A redheaded individual born into(legitamately or not), or adopted into a family of non-redheads was typically subject to physical and emotional abuse, and usually short handed when it came to financial matters in the family, such as the estate or any savings the family had acquired. Today, the term can be applied to an individual or group of individuals who are outcasts, or are typically dealt the worst hand in society.

I used to be the fiery redhead. But now I'm barely smoldering.

I'm going to get back that fire!

1 comment:

Lewis J. Fishman said...

Why the "head"? We don't call brunettes "brunette heads". Blondes are not "blonde heads". Maybe "redhead" is less threatening than "ginger". (In England, the term "ging" is often considered a nasty slur). I would never use the term derogatorily, but I do think "ginger", when used with affection, is cute, in a way. By the way, I dig redheads....