Friday, September 3, 2010

Lugubrious or Ludicrous

Sadly, this is a very sorrowful article. I feel lugubrious today.

Lugubrious means exaggeratedly or affectedly mournful.

It says it is from both Latin and Greek, because it is from a Latin word, which is "akin" to a word in Greek. Curious. Strange.

Lugubrious is possibly an antonym for ludicrous. Also from a Latin word, akin to a Greek word.

Ludicrous means laughable, amusing through obvious absurdity or exaggeration.

It would be ludicrous to be lugubrious about spilt milk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would just like to make an intro to everyone at philologsblog.blogspot.com. Your forum is brilliant! Generally when I visit forums, I just come across crap, but this time I was very surprised, finding a helpful forum containing fantastic information. Thanks ladys and gents at philologsblog.blogspot.com and keep your superb effort up!!