Monday, September 20, 2010

Deftly Adequate

Is "deft" a word?

Is it related to "adept?"

Is "inept' the opposite of adept?

adept -- highly skilled proficient. Latin.

adequate -- 1. fully sufficient 2. barely sufficient. From Latin.

deft- neat and skillful, adroit. From Old English.

It does not appear to be related to inept. "Inept" is from Latin, from "aptus" which means "to fit," and the "ept" in adept is supposedly from a different word, "apisci," which means "to get" in Latin. It certainly looks like the same root to me (ept)... I will have to consult my unabridged dictionary about this discrepancy!

And why does "adequate" sound so inadequate when your supervisor says your skills are adequate?!

I'd much rather be adept than adequate, and deft rather than adroit.

Is it better to be adequately deft or deftly adequate...?

Why do I always have more questions?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this wonderful post.Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer.

Anonymous said...

Wow all I can say is that you are a great writer! Where can I contact you if I want to hire you?

Anonymous said...

Nice post, kind of drawn out though. Really good subject matter though.

Anonymous said...

I just added your feed to my favorites. I really enjoy reading your posts.

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am definitely delighted to discover this. cool job!