Monday, April 2, 2007

Diaphanous

I heard a lovely word yesterday in my class. A student said that something appeared "diaphanous." I suspect it must be of Greek origin with the PH in it. I think I know what it means, but I’m actually going to check my dictionary, so I can see the etymology.

Di aph a nous is from a Greek word which means to show through and means transparent, translucent, or delicate, like the wings of a dragonfly.
Wow, the wings may be delicate, but the sound of the name, dragonfly, certainly isn’t!
Mnemonic device: remember “Diaphanous like a Dragongfly wing!”

Of course, mnemonic is a word obtained from Greek, from the goddess of Memory, Mnemosyne. In Greek they pronounce both the M and the N in the beginning of the word. But we Americans like it simple and short, so when we say it the M is silent (making it difficult to look up).

No comments: