Monday, March 21, 2011

Verdurous Perjury

Verdurous is a beautiful word!! Lush, Lavish, and Green, which is my favorite color!

Verdure means a young, lush green growth. It is pronounced like ver-jur-us. The "d" sounds like a "j" not like the "d" in murderous. I only mention this because I made the mistake of thinking it rhymed with murderous. It actually rhymes with perjurous.

The word verdurous is related to the word, verdant, and shares the same meaning. They are both synonyms for green. I chose this word because Green is my favorite color, and because St. Patrick's Day is one of my favorite holidays.

Verdure--n. the lush greenness of flourishing vegetation.
Verjurous--adj. green, young, vigorous.

The Emerald Island is so named because it is verdurous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Intesting word!