Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Piece of Mind

I’d like to give you a piece of my mind!

Them’s fighting words. I realized yesterday that Peace of Mind, which is desirable and positive sounds like piece of mind and this expression means I’d like to tell you off!

Do you mind? Mind is an interesting word.

I wish my son would mind his teachers.

If I do not wish to continue the conversation, is it rude to hang up? I don’t wish to be rude. But I don’t always have the energy or time to express my thoughts to a telemarketer. So in the interest of expediency, I would rather just hang up and not waste my time or theirs, once I have made up my mind.

Mind comes from Old English and the verb form has several meanings: remind; obey; make sure; attend to;take heed; object to.

I'm not sure how to tie this all together. Oh, never mind!

No comments: