Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Dispassionate Self-evaluation

I think I am a compassionate person. I am a good listener, and I have been told by clients and friends that they perceive that I understand what they are feeling and saying. I listen dispassionately, which means I do not judge them for what I hear. I also do not spread it around to others.

But I can be judgmental. I still evaluate and overanalyze everything that I hear and see. I’m analytical. Like everything else, being analytical can be viewed as a weakness or a strength.

Judgmental. Weird spelling. Means wise, discerning, or critical. From judicare, which is Latin for judge.

Compassion – capacity for feeling the emotions of others; empathy; pity.
Dispassion – fairness, impartiality, objectivity.
Passion – powerful feeling; or strong desire.

All from pati, which is Latin for suffering, which is related to pathos from Greek, but my dictionary isn't sure which came first. (huh?!)

No comments: