Sunday, August 19, 2007

Bemused by the epilogue

We just finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Just what are "hallows" anyway? “Hallows” are sacred objects. I was familiar with this word because Hallow'een is All Souls Day, the day before All Hallows, or All Saints Day.

I find the language of the Harry Potter Books very interesting. In this book, the author uses the word “bemused” many times. “Bemused” is related to “amused” and comes to us from Old French. It means confused, bewildered, or pondering. I’m not confused by the epilogue, it is quite clear, but it does make me think (leave me pondering).

"Epilogue" came to us ultimately from Greek, "epi" means after and "logos" means word. So the epilogue is the After Word, or final scene.

I have thoroughly enjoyed all 7 books in the series and I am only disappointed that there won’t be any more. All the loose ends are neatly tied up in this brilliant novel.

(Maybe a little too neatly. How is Voldemort so powerful and yet so uninformed and unaware?)

No comments: