Thursday, March 1, 2007

BOY

I just found out, my son has B.O.Y.! I never heard of it until yesterday. Kids with B.O.Y. can be hyperactive, impulsive, bright, enthusiastic, loud, and extremely persistent. They may get in trouble in school frequently. I have often been told my child doesn’t act like the other children in his class, but this is the first time I’ve ever found a label that fits! B.O.Y.! I think it stands for boisterous, outstanding youth. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Acronyms are abbreviations that can be pronounced as a word! So we can just say my son has BOY. He's BOY. He's a b-o-y!

"Acronym" comes from Latin. "Acro" means height (like acrophobia) and "nym" means name. So an acronym is a word with all high (capital) letters.

The word "radar" is an acronym, which stands for radio detecting and ranging.
"Scuba" is an acronym, self-contained underwater breathing apparatus.
"Snafu," too. Situation normal, all fouled up! This originated as a military term!

These terms are so common now that they don't need to be capitalized anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is there really such a thing as BOY? And how about GIRL? Can girls have BOY?