Monday, October 15, 2012

Surge or Splurge


The Dictionary is telling me to spend money! This is the advice I got: You should allow yourself to splurge once in a while!

Splash
splurge
spend
surge

How are these words related?!
Splurge means to spend extravagantly or ostentatiously. Wow! 2 more extravagant words!

The word splurge was first used around 1830, and may be a combination of spend and surge. Perhaps spend and urge?

But where did the lovely L come from. This is an unusual combination of letters, S-P-L, with an interesting sound. Onomatopeia gives us "splash" which sounds like a wave crashing on some rocks.

Splurge is the word of the day as I heard it somewhere this morning...

Although I do not consider myself extravagant, I do get the urge to splurge once in a while!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I truly wanted to write down a quick remark to thank you for these pleasant secrets you are showing at this website. My time-consuming internet lookup has at the end been rewarded with really good know-how to go over with my contacts. I ‘d express that we readers actually are undoubtedly blessed to dwell in a fantastic community with many outstanding individuals with insightful concepts. I feel rather grateful to have used the web site and look forward to tons of more cool times reading here. Thank you once more for all the details.