Saturday, April 23, 2011

Irrespective of the dictionary

I think I have discovered why people persist in using the word, irregardless, which is not actually a word. it is a word with an extra "ir" in front. For emphasis, I guess.

I heard this word today listening to a podcast, "irrespective."

Irrespective is a good synonym for regardless. Eureka! maybe that's what happened: a little confusion between a word and a non-word which should or could have the same meaning.

Also, since inflammable and flammable mean the same thing, regardless and irregardless could mean the same. That is, if there was such a word.

Regardless of what it says in the dictionary, some people persist in using the misnomer, "irregardless."

Coming attractions: Irreverant. Relinquish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!