Friday, January 7, 2011

Sneak Peek

This is the second time I've seen peek misspelled.

Twice, I've gotten email messages giving me a "sneak peak" at something. I could be wrong, but when I went to school, a peak was the top of a mountain. There could be a Sneak Peak, but more common would be a name like Pike's Peak. So why are we tempted to use peak instead of peek?

Peek is a noun which means a brief look, or a furtive look.

Spell check and even Grammar check will not detect this error.

If you want a sneak peek at my January newsletter, just check out my website, Enlightened Hypnosis dot com. If you want a beautiful panoramic view, go find a mountain!

2 comments:

Lewis J. Fishman said...

You've really piqued my interest! Seriously, when I see a misspelling or improper usage, it's annoying. I know what the speaker or writer is trying to say, but it FEELS wrong. Like a glitch or hiccup. Not that I'm 100% perfect. As Steve Martin said, "Some people have a way with the English language, others, uh, oh, um...oh, not have way"!

Philolog said...

"Pique" -- I love it! I didn't even think of it while writing the article, or I would've included it. It is another homonym for peek and peak!
Love the Steve Martin quotation, too.