Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Jury of Your Piers

I know orthography doesn't count for anything anymore, but when I get an email from someone trying to sell me high priced products, I expect them to edit and correct their work. Once in a while I publish my blog with a misspelling, and I correct it as soon as possible. And if I were sending marketing material, it would be proofread first. I understand that spell-check will not find this mistake. "Pier" is a valid word, so the computer cannot know or care if someone has a pier full of boats or is referring to another person, considered equal in legal terms. And people might not notice, because pier sounds just like peer and both are nouns...

I am probably in the minority, but send me a sales pitch with such a glaring error and you lose all credibility in my eyes. I won't do business with you.

I am probably in the minority, because most people wouldn't notice the error, that I find so glaring. But I think people should be more careful with written documents.

Do I have any peers that agree with me?

Any piers?

1 comment:

Lewis J. Fishman said...

I have a boatful of peers who would not even notice. It's sad. Especially considering the levels of education. Sorry--I believe that college educated people need to write well. Okay, not everyone can be a wordsmith. But "to" vs. "too" vs. "two"? What's the problem? It's not elitism, it's a matter of trust--the first impression. Especially so for high-end, supposedly precision/ top-notch products or services.