Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Festooned

I like to use my pocket dictionary as a reference for these posts, but recently, I discovered that the definition for festoon in my pocket dictionary was different from the one in the grammarian’s dictionary. I prepared for my Toastmaster's meeting last week by looking up the word of the day, festoon.

My dictionary is Funk and Wagnell's Standard Dictionary, so there is no subtitle necessary, but the first page says "Your Perfect Pocket Guide to the English Language."

Inside it there is a definition for the word FESTOON.

As a noun it lists the meaning as, a bunch of flowers.

And as a verb it says to adorn with flowers.

So I put on a flowered dress and went to the meeting, thinking myself appropriately festooned. As Toastmaster for the Day, I even mentioned that I was festooned.

Then the grammarian stood up and gave the definition as to drape or adorn with draperies. I was nonplussed. I felt like I had shown up dishabille instead. I could've worn a drape!

No comments: