Thursday, May 27, 2010

My Peccadillo

So many words, so little time!

I was asked to be the grammarian for my club and come up with an inspiring word. The Toastmaster complimented me on my previous choice of words, so the pressure is on to choose judiciously, without plaigarizing another.

I am the philologue. I can do this. But there are so many choices! I wanted to pick "impeccable." Yet I suspect most members are already famliar with it. So I'm going with a related word, "peccadillo." Now how do I illustrate it?

Peccadillo comes to us from Latin, through Spanish, peccadillo means a little sin in Spanish.

My pocket dictionary says "a slight or trifling sin."

Underneath that is peccant, which means sinful.

And of course, the pecc in impeccable comes from the same root, and means without error, flaw or fault.

Thes words are all related and a point will be given to anyone for using any of these 3 words.

So what is my peccadillo? I love words. It is impossible to choose just one!

No comments: