Friday, October 30, 2009

Plethora of Efficacious Words

There are a plethora of impressive words in the book I'm now listening to, Leading with Kindness by Bill Baker and Michael O'Malley. Of course, they both have PhDs, as well as years of business experience. They seem to have extensive knowledge about US Businesses, and they interviewed hundreds of managers and CEOs in order to write this book.

It has been very enlightening for me.

Just some of the words so far:
procrustian, benevolent, mileau, vanquish, kitsch, panoply, aggregate, vindicated, honorable, and other words I've heard, but haven't used in a long time.

Procrustian--ruthlessly or violently bringing about conformity, from the Greek giant, Procrustes. I have heard the myth, but didn't remember this guy's name. I think Hercules defeated him. He was a giant who had an iron bed and he would take people and fit them in, stretching them if too short, cutting off legs if too tall. Yuk!

Sorry, it was not Hercules, but another Greek hero, Theseus, who defeated Procrustes. My mistake.

No comments: