Monday, June 8, 2009

Where's your moxie?

Curses! We've been jimmy-jacked!



I just saw the movie, The Battle of the Smithsonian. It was funny. There was a lifesized manequin of Amelia Earhardt and she came to life, with very colorful language. Somehow, even though the other figures, from ancient Egypt or Russia, spoke modern English, with a thorough understanding of the current idioms and slang expressions, she was allowed to use some uncommon language, possibly from her own era.



The word I was thinking about was moxie. Amelia said it many times and my son asked me what it meant after the movie. Moxie is a great word! I think it means Boldness, daring, fearlessness.



It means boldness or courage and I think it may come from Yiddish. It is not in my pocket dictionary and not in my thesaurus for Word.

No comments: